doodly

Thursday 28 April 2011

Jodi Picoult Sing You Home

Jodi Picoult is one of, if not my main favourite author. She doesnt shy away from hard hitting situations and ones that make you sit and think. If you are looking for chick lit beach reads then she isnt the author for you. I do find her books emotionally draining sometimes and so have to put a chick lit one or two in before I read the next. 

Sing You Home was no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved the ending although I would have liked a little bit more of the ending explored but theres always a reason for the way Jodi does the endings the way she does. This particular book comes with a soundtrack that you download and play for each chapter. I didnt personally do this because as it stands I very rarely get a chance to read so didnt have chance to sort the music as sometimes I was out and about but I do have the music ready to listen to. 

This book is good although the one I recommend you start with is My Sisters Keeper, it is so much better than the film and will ease you into her style of writing nicely. 

Zoe and Max are married. For 9 years they have been trying to have a baby but due to fertility issues this is proving almost impossible even with IVF. After the birth of a premature stillborn boy their marriage disintegrates. After a few months apart they have both settled into new lives. Max becomes a born again Christian living with his born again brother and sister in law and Zoe marries a woman. Zoe and Vanessa decide that they want to start a family and that they want to use 3 embryos that were left over from the IVF treatments when Zoe was married to Max. Max needs to sign off on this but being naive the pastour of his church decides to bring in a hotshot lawyer to stop this as homosexuality is a sin and an innocent child shouldnt be brought up in that environment. Cue a long court battle which im sorry I cant tell you about because I may give it away. 

Jodi has come under a lot of flack about this topic, as she has done other topics but this one I dont understand why. I am Christian and I know people who are like the pastor and his flock who think that homosexuality is a life choice not something you are born with and so something that is wrong and sinful. 
I dont like this way of thinking and alot of the time you find the total bible bashers (yes I said it) are born again Christians. They are the ones that go out of their way to shove religion down your throat when they have only just found it. Ive grown up within the religion and am very openminded towards other religions and sexuality. 
If you love someone why cant you marry them be they black white green alien or same sex?

No comments:

Post a Comment