doodly

Friday 15 April 2011

Should a man wear a wedding ring?

Apparently men never used to wear wedding rings it was only around World War 2 that it became customary for soldiers serving overseas to wear a wedding ring to remind them of home, and their commitment to their wives and families. The popularity of wedding rings for men has since grown, but there is still divided opinion on whether wearing one is obligatory or not.

After the womens movement alot of women removed their wedding rings because they saw them as symbolising ownership of them.  Today they are seen as a sign of equality, both husband and wife are proud to show the world that they are committed to each other even when they are apart.

Prince William has revealed that he will not be wearing a wedding ring when he gets married on April 29th. Is this a big deal? I think like a bride changing her surname it is down to the couple and the individual involved. 
I changed my name and my husband wears a ring. The reasons I wanted the same surname as my child and I am starting the next chapter of my life with my husband as our little family. I will always be my maiden name but now I my married name. When discussing the rings I wanted ones that matched nothing flashy just plain gold bands and maybe that is why hubby was willing to wear it even though he never wears jewellery. I look at my ring and think of him and know that my husband does the same. He lost his recently before our 1st anniversary and it upset the both of us because he was going to replace it but then it wouldnt be the one that was blessed but luckily it got found and he is extra careful with it now. 

There was a debate about this in a womens magazine with Carol McGiffin and Someone off TOWIE so they are obviously people whose opinions you need on things like this. 

Cheating seems to be a major factor when you google this. A man who wears a wedding ring is seen less likely to cheat than a man who doesnt.  Although it takes nothing to pull that ring off and put it in a pocket.

"I don't think a band on the finger will guarantee anybody's fidelity - there are some more primitive urges at play there, I would suggest. But it's a statement of commitment. It's a celebration as well."  says David Miller, director at etiquette guide Debrett's

Work is another factor. Mechanics, plumbers, builders, etc dont tend to wear wedding rings as their work is manual and jewellery can get caught in machinery etc. 

I somehow dont think Kate Middleton will need to worry when it comes to Wills. According to the press release it was his choice as he doesnt wear jewellery, I dont think theres going to be a woman on this earth that doesnt know who he is and the fact that he is married. He also seems very much like his mothers son. I did find out that his dad does wear a wedding ring just not on his ring finger. He apparently wears it under the signet ring on his little finger. He also wore the one he had with Diana until after the day he got engaged to Camilla. However the Duke of Edinborough doesnt wear one.

Maybe matching tattoos will become more popular although look at Pamela Anderson and Peter Andres weddings to see how that turns out.   


No comments:

Post a Comment